Two migrants drown off Preveza
published on Kathimerini
ATHENS, 18 May 2011 - Authorities in the northwestern port of Preveza on Wednesday recovered the bodies of a 48-year-old male migrant and a child believed to have been passengers in a smuggling boat found washed up on a local beach.
Another 22 would-be migrants – most believed to be of Afghan and Pakistani origin – were transferred to a local hospital for health checks. The migrants told police that another child who had been on the eight-meter speed boat with them was missing.
The migrants’ suspected smuggler has been detained, police said, adding that they were seeking his suspected accomplice, believed to be hiding in the port area.
It is thought that the smuggling boat had set off from the Ionian island of Lefkada and had been heading for Italy.